Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: 2 firewalls protecting internal network

From: RobOEM <rd.seclists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 18:03:40 +0200

It's not defense in depth. You're implementing the same type of control twice.
What you're doing by choosing two vendors is mitigating the risk of
failure in the control itself (ie a vuln affecting, say, all Cisco
firewalls).
The risk you're adding, however, is discrepancy in those controls;
another thread in sec-basics http://seclists.org/basics/2012/May/10
stresses the difficulty of managing firewalls.

You should know what you're doing if you plan to implement that (ie
not defense in depth), and my advice would be not to "stack" them but
to put them in a redundant active-passive architecture, with a
monitoring in place. And consider looking into management solutions
first, then buying from vendors compatible with the management tool
you plan to buy.

--rob'