Security Basics mailing list archives

locating exploits in open source

From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler () tysdomain com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 09:20:05 -0600

Hello all:
Before I dive into reverse engineering, I'd like to start off smaller.
I understand bits and pieces of some exploits, so I'd like to start work on my own to help contribute somehow. Given source code to a project, how do people usually proceed with finding exploits? I've played with some, and have some understanding of how they work, but the actual figuring out how to make them is beyond me; tips and etc would be welcome.

Here's kind of what I am thinking to get going. There are static analysis tools like splint and clang has one as well, that I could run over the code and look for "unsafe" functions that I could possibly exploit where they are used. Using this I will need a deeper understanding of buffer overflows, but I think it can be done. Are there other entrypoints to this as well?

Thanks,
Ty

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1