Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RDP over the internet

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 19:04:43 +0100

On 2012-03-17 Thugzclub wrote:
On 2012-03-14 Alex Fiuvertiz wrote:
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/52353

New vulnerabilities will be discovered every now and then. Duh. The
question is: do they get fixed in a timely manner?

The fact is that "open port" is a potential attack vector because a
vulnerability may be discovered in the application.

I'm sorry to have to break this to you, but as long as you're using
TCP/IP you need an open port if you want to be able to establish a
connection.

This is why you need to rely application execution control products
like (Lumension, App Blocker) to prevent execution of unknown
binaries!

Software Restriction Policies exist. However, application control is
unlikely to be of much help when malware is run in the context of
privileged accounts.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1