Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hashing passwords

From: "Mikhail A. Utin" <mutin () commonwealthcare org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:09:22 -0400

I would not personally trust THIS article. Not because it comes from the company having the nick M$, but because ofits
poor educated personnel. That possibly has roots in its former president and founder, who did not manage to finish even
4-years college.
Writing such articles discussing security cost/benefits requires the understanding of exposure/losses. They are
completely statistically based, but, unfortunately, such statistics are not known. If the author took a course of
probability theory basics and did home work, he would understand that first of all he need to get reliable statistics
for each specific security event, for instance a probability of a user getting "phished", and then correlated
statistics for getting infected by one of millions of known and unknown malware. The he needs to know losses for each
phishing event, which do depend on a business size, IT infrastructure, installed AV software, user education, etc.,
etc. So far, I have not seen any such statistics or databases. Such database would be a matrix of billions of security
events by billions of exposures. We even do not have REAL number of all phishing attempts and the number of successful
attack cases in the US.
Writing such articles is an easy process of misleading people by speculating on unreliable set of facts or statistics.
We definitely can say that having AV software is right and protects one's computer. How much? For a set of known
viruses it is basically known, because such research is done both vendors and independent organizati0ons (for instance,
AV Comparative). However, when it comes to correlation with phishing ...
So, simple matter of phishing mentioned in the article in question is not really simple when we discuss that geared
with math and common sense. Not having either or both leads to such articles.
risk analysis) , think about "billion by billion" matrix.

Best regards

Mikhail Utin, CISSP, PhD