Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password cracking

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:54:59 -0400

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM,  <u-turn1 () gmx de> wrote:
In principle you take the password hash function itself as reduction function.
You do not need to find the original password, but only some input which is
hashed to the same value as the password.
Right, that's a collision and hence the reason MD5 has been unsuitable
for years. It only had 2^64 theoretical bits of security in this
domain, and it was eroded well below the baseline. It baffled me how
the free software world embraced it so many years after it was
shelved.

And a call to action on GNU for secure coding standards was ignored (I
wrote to the foundation personally when Savannah was hacked).

Jeff

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1