Security Basics mailing list archives

Securing access to a web server best practices and suggestions

From: Luis Gutierrez <ip2work () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 16:49:46 -0700

I'd like to get some validation and best practice tips on the following
scenario:

We have some web applications that will be accessed via the Internet. We
plan on using an F5 load balancer and LDAP calls to authenticate end users
to the "fiction.corp domain". Users shall authenticate via their domain
accounts. GPO is setup so that accounts lock out after 3 bad logon
attempts. They unlock after 10 minutes. The F5 load balancer will be in the
DMZ and the Firewall will only permit TCP/443 inbound from the Internet. Th
eF5 will have access from the DMZ to an LDAP pool of three domain
controllers (for authentication) that sit on our corporate LAN and port
TCP/443 to a pool of web application servers also in the Corp LAN. The
servers will be patched with the latest OS updates and the application as
well.

Any suggestions such as server hardening, patching, potential issues, are
certainly welcome.

Thank you in advance,

luis

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1