Security Basics mailing list archives

R: Exploitable vulnerabilities in Microsoft IIS/7.0

From: Bertone Giuseppe <G.Bertone () almaviva it>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 18:29:36 +0000

This is a bug valid in a "fully patched" 7.5.7600.16385 IIS and its corresponding exploit:

Bug: http://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2010-3972
Exploit: http://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/15803

The exploit is written in python. I just tested it using Ubuntu as attacking machine and, as expected, I was able to
remotely crash my "fully patched" IIS 7.5.7600.16385 FTP service. The bug was disclosed in 2010 and it was fixed with a
Win7 patch (KB2489256) in early 2011, so it was not exactly a IIS bug, even if IIS could be used to exploit it. Note
that Windows Update propose the patch to you only if you have IIS installed.

Giuseppe Bertone