Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: web form filling bots

From: "Rob" <synja () synfulvisions com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:07:05 +0000

I've said this several times on this list: If you are going to be in any facet of the IT world, you *must* know the
basics.

A lot of shell scripting looks complicated, but it isn't. For something like this, it's a simple loop. You can set
variables by using awk to extract values from lists, then simply call curl (more than once if a session cookie is
required) and specify the variables to POST, pipe the output somewhere you can parse it ( curl | grep | test or action)
and then loop around again.

If you work with Linux or UNIX systems you should already be more familiar with this than you realize. Windows and
VBscript aren't as easy to learn, but batch scripting can do anything that a bash script can, in much the same way. You
can even install the standard GNU utilities on just about any platform.

The best bit of advice I can give for learning this is to use an editor with syntax highlighting; notepad++ for win32
and nano for *NIX. I would avoid using Cygwin for script development, I've run into odd issues with variable
handling... Didn't care enough to actually investigate.

Rob