Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: NMAP

From: Yaniv Shaked <yaniv () shaked org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 23:17:59 +0200

Alright, so what do you mean "active hosts"?
Nmap knows a lot of ways to get this done. What are these hosts?
Are these a bunch of servers at a DMZ which simply answer to a ping?
nmap -PE -sn 192.168.0.0/24

The -PE tells nmap to do a host discovery with "Ping Echo" (Regular ping)
The -sn tells nmap to stop running after the host discovery, without
it, it would run it's default port scan on the live hosts (The first
rule of nmap: If you don't tell him not to do it. It'll do it)

If these computers doesn't reply to a Ping, but they are in your LAN,
you could probably do:
nmap -PR -sn 192.168.0.0/24

It'll just send arps to each computer, any computer that will answer
the are request, nmap would know it is alive.

There some times that these computer you're about to scan are not in
your LAN and do not reply to a Ping. Now you need to be more creative.
Added here the relevant text from nmap -h (Bolded the super-relevant):

HOST DISCOVERY:
  -sL: List Scan - simply list targets to scan
  -sn: Ping Scan - disable port scan
  -Pn: Treat all hosts as online -- skip host discovery
  -PS/PA/PU/PY[portlist]: TCP SYN/ACK, UDP or SCTP discovery to given ports
  -PE/PP/PM: ICMP echo, timestamp, and netmask request discovery probes
  -PO[protocol list]: IP Protocol Ping
  -n/-R: Never do DNS resolution/Always resolve [default: sometimes]
  --dns-servers <serv1[,serv2],...>: Specify custom DNS servers
  --system-dns: Use OS's DNS resolver
  --traceroute: Trace hop path to each host

You can choose your own ports to scan for each one (TCP SYN in 80,
8080, 443, 5589 etc) or just leave it empty (-PS) to let nmap try it's
default ports.

Enjoy!