Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Patch Management

From: Vic Vandal <vvandal () well com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 10:55:25 -0700 (PDT)

You can use SCCM to deploy patches for all of those products mentioned - MS-OS/Office/etc., Flash, Adobe Reader, Java,
etc. (Firefox, whatever).  Look into using SCUP with SCCM for Adobe products.  For some other products (Java), when you
install them a MSI file and related CAB file(s) will be created, and you can copy those from a machine you installed to
and then deploy them as a package in SCCM.  You can also deploy regular EXE files/updates/installations using SCCM.
Create third party product directories under the sccm_packages source directory, then copy your applicable EXE file
there and set a distribution schedule.  Depending on how you create the source directories and file names you may have
to re-advertise to get the updates deployed to all applicable machines.

If you have a heterogeneous environment then you may need to wait for SCCM 2012 to be able to deploy patches to Linux,
Solaris, and a couple others (which it will reportedly support, although I can't say how well it will do).
Otherwise you could try something like Patchlink, although it might not work as well as Satellite for RH Linux nor as
well as other methods for distributing Solaris updates.  Also unless you're solely running MS-SQL as your DB backends
you may need to patch other DB products using other tools.  And of course you'll need to patch your network devices
using whatever varied mechanisms they support.  In short there is no totally unified solution, although in a pure MS
shop you can use SCCM for most desktop and server software deployments, updates, and patches.  And since you said
you're already using SCCM you may as well get its full value by reading up and learning everything you actually can do
with it.

-Vic