Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Pentester vs IT security analyst

From: "Brian Fritts" <bfritts () wcmc org>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:30:50 -0500

IT Security Analyst:

Overworked, underpaid, former network individual who was shoved into the
"Security is the next big thing" area. Individual is usually required to
protect Fort Knox with string, bubble gum, and an old paperclip from an
unseen army of "Evil Hackers" bent on world domination via your computer
network. 90% of the time, those "Evil Hackers" are internal users who
feel the need to stress test the network by plugging every virus
infected USB Flash drive that they find on the subway into they're work
computer. User is expected by Administration to understand every nuance
of systems ranging from software that has only been used once by "that
one guy who went crazy and quit" to those of the 30 year old computer
that has been setting at the back of a closet, getting dripped on by a
leaker pipe running the most critical software applications on a windows
ME home brew server that hasn't been updated since the day it was
installed and has never even seen antivirus.

Penetration Tester:

Overworked, starving freelance hippie who thought he would be reliving
the movie "Hackers" only legally. Individual is expected by cliental to
be able to break into any system at any time, on command, without being
given any prior information, using top secret super programs that even
the FBI doesn't know exists, then be able to give a detailed step by
step documentation of how it was performed using only one button so that
the client can just do it themselves next time without having to hire
you again. Individual will then be criticized for anything that breaks
while he is performing the pen testings and be told " you should have
known it would break it our super rare computer program that we didn't
even tell you we had". Even if they are simply sending a ping request to
server A and Server B's power supply fails, you will be blamed and
expected to pay for the repairs to their $30,000 windows ME machine that
was running their most critical software that was damaged so bad that
they will now have to purchase a new server.

Security Analysts dream of the freedom of Pen Testers
Pen Testers dream of the stability of Security Analysts