Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Operative System Updates

From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler () tysdomain com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:40:19 -0600

On 6/14/2012 11:45 AM, haZard0us wrote:
Hi all,

I need to create a script that gathers information of the OS before and after the updates in order to detect changes
and which updates/service packs were used.

To be honest, I really don't know where to start. So, my question is which information should i gather in order to
detect correctly which files were changed and which updates were used.

If you want to know exactly what files were changed, you can hash files, then after the update do another hash and
compare. You could just have a database/list of path:hash. You could also just use fswatcher or something similar.
As for what updates were installed, I think those can be found in the registry, you could just reference that. I do not know to much about it though. There may be more elegant solutions--I'm not sure, just wanted to throw that out as an idea.

HTH,

Thanks in advance.

--haZ
Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1