Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: KMS

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 22:37:00 +0200

On 2012-07-16 Jude Cwalenski wrote:
Does anyone gave any experience with using KMS to activate their
Windows 7 clients?  I'm able to activate 2008 servers but not Win7
clients.

We're using KMS for Windows 7 client activation. However, you need to
supply significantly more information for anyone to be able to provide
help other than "yes, it works".

- Do you mean Server 2008 or Server 2008 R2? The former can be activated
  with KMS version 1.1, while the latter (as well as Windows 7) requires
  KMS version 1.2 [1,2].

- Do you have the _VLMCS SRV record configured in DNS?

- Do you have a Windows 7 activation key installed and activated on the
  KMS server?

- Are the Windows 7 clients installed with the correct product key?

- Are at least 25 clients activated by the KMS?

Use "slmgr -dli" to check the activation status and (partial) product
key of a client.

Use "nslookup -querytype=srv _vlmcs._tcp.example.com" to check if the
SRV record exists and points to the correct server.

See the Customer Hosted Volume Activation Guide [3] and particularly the
chapter "Deploying KMS Activation [4] for more details. See [5] for
information about troubleshooting KMS.

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968915
[2] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968912
[3] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979804
[4] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793409
[5] http://technet.microsoft.com/library/ee939272.aspx

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1