Security Basics mailing list archives

Created/Working on a reference for InfoSec

From: Robert Musser <rmusser2209 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 14:13:44 -0700

Hi everyone, I apologize if this is considered spam, I looked over the rules and feel it doesn't, but if I'm wrong, please delete it.

What:
Made a reference application/site called InfoSec Reference ( www.rmusser.net/infosec ) that is a collection of info on various InfoSec items. It is available online (rmusser.net/infosec and at github) and on the android market. It was made using html/css/javascript. If you want to add something or tell me it sucks, do so.

The top-level Sections are:
Securing Yourself; Mobile Device Security; Wireless Network Security; Web Application Security; Local Network Security; Building a Hacking Lab; Social Engineering; Infosec Conferences; Physical Security; Free Training Courses; Methodologies; and Links(the entire Pen-Test bookmarks categorized neatly)

All of the Content is sourced to its creators, as well as the entire app/resource being licensed under the Creative Commons 3.0 non-commercial Share-A-Like license (AKA, do what you want with it, just don't sell it)

Why:
I felt(as something of a newbie) that there is a distinct lack of consolidated information sources for Information Security. While things like the Pen-Test bookmarks, and others exist, I felt there wasn't a overall reference/signpost thingy that one could go to and have an idea of where to go next(I know, google), and while I don't feel that my app solves that issue, I do feel that it helps. I would like to see it over time develop into something that everyone in the field could find use for.

My goal with this app/collection of info is to be able to have something that people who are new to the field can look at and get an idea of various things and how to educate themselves further on the topics, as well as act as a reference guide for people who already know it.

I plan on adding a lot more content to it over time, as well as fleshing out just about everything. My two immediate goals are:
1. In-app search(most requested feature)
2. Have the conferences section list talks given/with links to the talks/slides sorted and categorized by year.

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=my.first.app for android Github: https://github.com/rmusser01/infosec-ref (The github is a bit behind, I'm still trying to figure it out, the latest version can be scraped from my website: rmusser.net/infosec )

If you have any suggestions or criticisms please let me know.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1