Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: nmap udp scan takes too long

From: anonymous <nighthawk2600 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 14:16:49 -0700

On 06/29/2012 05:32 AM, pentester wrote:
Reason is that nmap waits for a response, retries, waits etc. Once it decides the port is not responding it
continues. There is a little smartness, because nmap tries different ports simultaneously.
Another scanner solves this issue. unicornscan typically scans al 64k ports in 3 minutes and 45 seconds when you use
a scan rate of 300 packets per seconds

To my knowledge, unicornscan is today still the best way to do a udp scan. Possible issue is that it is available in
Linux only. I have not seen working versions on Windows or Mac (although I expect in theory it should be possible to
get it working on Mac).

Cor