Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: mcafee DDOS solution

From: pentester <pentester () surfhier nl>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 12:17:53 +0200

I'm sorry to say, but a company or individual can not protect against DDos on layer 4. Not even with an Allot
ServiceProtector. I'm sure the Allot ServiceProtector can detect a DDoS and drop packets after it is determined they
are malicious, but it can't prevent the packets are delivered to the Allot ServiceProtector itself. And DoSsing the
Allot ServiceProtector also means that all services protected by it are DoSsed as well.

Imagine this: a security guard is protecting the entrance of a supermarket and only allow entrance to real customers
(let's assume the guard can tell the difference between bad and good customers). Now a football/soccer/baseball stadium
full of people approach the supermarket. The entrance is blocked, because the street can't handle that amount of
simultaneous pedestrians. The security guard makes sure the bad traffic is dropped (exits through a facility that can
handle this enormous load. Now the good traffic, all three of them, can't reach the entrance because 50.000 pieces of
bad traffic is blocking it. The supermarket is DoSsed, no matter how good the security guard does it's job.

The comparison is not completely valid. In real, a DoS in the internet world is even worse. Even if there is some magic
that reduces the effect of the DDoS, the attacker can always decide to saturate the victim's access router, making even
the Allot ServiceProtector inaccessible.

The Allot ServiceProtector would probably help to prevent that you DoS something :-)

Cor