Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: security in P2P

From: "Rajiv D" <rajiv.ceh () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 17:00:25 +0000

Hi Pratik,

P2P systems uses what is called hashing.  Before you can share it on the network it should be hashed. P2P generally
uses MD5. So any file that you are downloading should have same hash in all the peers. So if two users have the EXACT
same file then only the hash will match and it will be downloaded from them. If some malware has been Introduced in the
file then the hash will change and it will be treated as a separate file. The real problem comes when you download from
a user and that particular file is malicious. In that case any HIPS can help you out.

-- Rajiv