Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Malware detection

From: Vic Vandal <vvandal () well com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 21:31:08 -0700 (PDT)

Quotes and responses:

try a mixed solution of Microsoft Windows Security Essentials for servers and workstations to detect and eliminate

Besides the fact that Microsoft Windows Security Essentials can be a resource hog that brings numerous systems to their
knees, it's not a very robust anti-malware solution.  In comparison to the top 5 or top 10, it will miss a LOT of
infections.  It also has other false-positive issues, specifically related to Zeus, which is one of the malware items
that Tony wanted to focus on.

From late 2011:
"Some Chrome users reported persistent problems Monday related to Microsoft's Security Essentials and Forefront
security products blocking--and in some cases, deleting--copies of the Google Chrome browser after labeling it as a
"severe" threat. Microsoft had released an emergency update for the problem on Friday.
According to an update announcement from Microsoft, its products began "incorrect detection of Google Chrome as
PWS:Win32/Zbot," which is another name for the password-stealing Trojan application known as Zeus, which is designed to
harvest people's financial data."

Google Chrome = Zeus?  Wow!

From the self-promoting post .sig:
CISSP, ITIL, CEH, MCT
Obviously throwing a bunch of acronyms behind one's name doesn't translate to wisdom.  I guess all advice needs to be
taken with a grain of salt.  I don't mean to be a d*ck, but your advice is bad sir.

In closing, MS Security Essentials is not your best bet for identifying and defeating said malware.

Peace,
Vic,
CISSP, SSCP, HIJKLMNOP, etc.
(cough, wink)