Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Need the list of well know Distributed IDS

From: Vic Vandal <vvandal () well com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:26:58 -0800 (PST)

I assume you are looking for Network-based IDS/IPS that can be deployed across a WAN of some sort.  You can deploy
distributed HIDS also.  Specific names of commercial and open source IDS systems can be easily found with any web
search.  Which ones you actually evaluate should be based on some pre-defined requirements. Here are some guides worth
reviewing before and while evaluating products.

http://assets.sourcefire.com/snort/deploymentyguides/IDS_criteria.pdf
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-94/SP800-94.pdf

Since you asked here are just a few of many available products.  Providing the links is not a personal or professional
endorsement of any of the listed products.
http://sectools.org/tag/ids/
https://mosaicsecurity.com/categories/60-network-intrusion-detection-system
http://www.skynet-solutions.net/About-EasyIDS

And Snort can be used in a distributed architecture.

Whatever you deploy will not be a silver bullet.  Detecting malware and/or intrusions on one's infrastructure requires
a multi-pronged approach, using a suite of tools and the staff to maintain and monitor them.  It's not cheap nor easy
to do a thorough job at it, and even then the likelihood that some attacks will slip through is not zero.

-Vic