Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VPN Service

From: erik <security () vanwesten net>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 10:55:26 +0100

Op 28-2-2012 19:45, J.Hart, Elec.Eng.Tech. schreef:
sorry - i misspelled that name - it is mallvad.net

http://mullvad.net/en/faq.php

their IP addresses are located in the Netherlands.
you can use their software or your own OpenVPN or PPTP.
and you get a free trial to test it out.
i would caution anyone using a canadian service as we are currently
fighting a bill that would allow full random citizen surveillance for
no reason at all ..

3113

And the addresses located in The Netherlands (endpoints) is a perfect reason NOT to use this provider since no other country in the world has (relatively speaking) more lawful intercepts than The Netherlands.

Really. Sad but true. All traffic is logged by law, and kept for the duration of 2 (two) years. The bill you talk about for Canada was passed here a couple of years ago. Police are known to (illegally) conduct
search operations in these logs.

I would look for a vpn provider with endpoints in Sweden or (better) Switzerland.

Erik.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1