Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Compliance and SSH

From: "Al Cooper" <cooper () hmcnetworks com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 08:10:31 -0600

Hi Mike,

Are you interested in client side or service compliance?

For server side,  NERSC (National Energy Research Scientific Computer
Center) had developed a version of OpenSSH that can audit user interactions
called Instrumented SSH (iSSH).  iSSH uses Bro IDS to generate and manage
alerts.  It's a pretty cool system.

A white paper on iSSH can be found at:

http://www.escholarship.org/uc/item/35s7k4hk

The code for iSSH is located at:

https://code.google.com/p/auditing-sshd/

If you are new to Bro IDS the best way to install Bro IDS for small or test
environments is via SecurityOnion.

http://securityonion.blogspot.com/

Scott Campbell (the author of the white paper on iSSH) gave an excellent
talk about iSSH and Bro IDS at the Bro Exchange 2012 last week in Boulder.
They recorded all the talks and it should be available soon on Bro's
website:

  http://www.bro-ids.org

Hope this helps,

Al Cooper  CISSP  MCSE