Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS Scanners

From: Chelsea Budzko <cbudzko () uoregon edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 09:21:53 -0700

PCI DSS is much more than a scan, which to my understanding is based on
the presence, or lack of encryption levels sufficient to meet that PCI
DSS piece of the entire requirement, which to seriously test would
include an in-depth, person-to-person AND device config review, as well
as the general topology of the said network.  I have always found the
advertisements for scanners and 'pci compliant' email clients to be hype
only.  They might provide the needed encryption, but the cannot in and
of themselves make an organization PCI DSS compliant.
hope this helps