Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Penetration Testing Software

From: Sheldon Malm <Sheldon_Malm () rapid7 com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:26:57 +0000

Heh - here I go again ...

Full Disclosure (again): I work for Rapid7.

There are 3 versions of Metasploit that you could look at.  The Metasploit Framework/Project is free; Metasploit
Express is low cost; Metasploit Pro is low cost compared to other commercial options, but not low cost compared to
Metasploit Express.  For nice client reports, you'll want to look at Express or Pro.

For an overview, you can check them out here: http://www.rapid7.com/products/penetration-testing.jsp

If you're looking specifically at web application pen testing, I'd recommend that you check out w3af -- web application
attack and audit framework.  It's free.  Info on w3af can be found here: http://w3af.sourceforge.net/

I hope this helps.

Sheldon Malm
Senior Director, Security Strategy & Alliances
Rapid7