Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Virus infection procedure

From: Bog Witch <iambogwitch () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:00:46 +0100

Eric,

Following a malware infection, the best response is to completely
flatten and rebuild the affected system. Malware can make changes to
installed software or system files giving a potential attacker a way
back into the system. Malware can make changes to the registry of
MSWindows machines to lower the security posture of the machine.
Malware can change file permissions, again, weakening the posture of
the machine.
Therefore the only safe option is to completely rebuild.

It would also be prudent to carry out a full sweep of other systems on
the same network as it is possible that the malware could have passed
from one system to another. Perhaps performing the scan with a
different malware scanner to help to catch the malware that Symantec
might have missed (not to criticise Symantec, but 2 malware scanners
are slightly better than one)

HTH,

Bog