Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security Basics

From: "Stephanus J Alex Taidri" <staidri () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 08:56:46 +0000

Hi Nahuche,

One method of NAT related attack that I'm thinking is a NAT overload (PAT) exhausted attack which usually can be done
in one direction (from LAN to Internet) where few compromised PCs within the LAN together are initiating tremendous
(massive) outbound tcp port connections to internet.

If it can reach more than 65535 outbound NAT translations, this alone could cause a "denial of service" effect on
average small companies which has only single IP for PAT by exhausting the available ports translation.

Not to mentioned that before reaching those 65535 connections, the ordinary router without NIDS/IPS or
intelligent/awareness on this kind of attack may probably get crashed or out of memory or worst, smashed by buffer
overflow which may or may not lead to the next interesting things -- if you know what I mean ;)
Best Regards,
Stephanus J Alex Taidri

--- Sent from my BlackBerry