Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Client End Point Scan

From: William Baltas <bill.baltas () cleanwaterteam com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 13:12:51 -0700

Have you looked at a Network Access Control (NAC) solution.  With NAC active in a company all workstations are
automatically scanned for A/V, firewalls, O/S, patches, and A/V updates.  If a device fails to meet the criteria set,
the workstation can be denied access to the network or be given access to a VLAN that has remediation servers, or
directed to the Internet for remediation.  When the workstation becomes compliant with the specified security, it is
permitted on the corporate network.

As for SSL VPN, the Cisco AnyConnect client has the capability of scanning a PC for common A/V engines (Symantec,
Trend, McAfee, and a few others) and checking to see if a firewall is active (I believe it will also look for patches).
 If the client meets the necessary criterion it is permitted as a valid VPN connection, if the system fails, the VPN
connection is denied.

Bill