Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: CIS benchmarks

From: Saif El Sherei <SSherei () npcegypt com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 00:12:08 +0300

CIS are one of the best sources for security benchmarks along with NIST

CIS standards are recommend by allot of security standards like PCI-DSS.

Regards,

Saif
OSCP

Sent from my iPhone.

On May 27, 2011, at 12:58 AM, "Catelijne van Antwerpen" <cvanantwerpen () mirabeau nl> wrote:

Hi,

I'm investigating some standard install procedures with the focus on security.
On the internet I stumbled upon CIS (Center for Internet Security).
http://www.cisecurity.org/index.cfm
The have put together a lot of security benchmarks for different kinds of products.
It looks good at first sight, but I don't how well this organization is known by the community.

Do you know whether these benchmarks are being used frequently?
Or do you guys use other benchmarks/listen to other authorities?

Cheers,

Cat.

Catelijne van Antwerpen
Applicatiebeheerder

Mirabeau | Managed Services    H.J.E. Wenckebachweg 108, 1096 AR Amsterdam
+31(0)20-5950550  -  www.mirabeau.nl
Parttime: oneven weken op woensdag afwezig.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works,
how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test,
purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for
set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital
certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1