Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: detect ISP's legitimate SMTP server

From: Vedantam Sekhar <vedantamsekhar () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 13:06:30 +0530

one site that gives all this information i know of is www.robtex.com.
It lists all the MX servers and NS servers for a company. However, no
gaurentee if that is the SMTP server ISP gives to its customers.
Chances are that the MX servers we find via dnslookups may be just
used for that ISP's employees. Usually ISP's configure Relay servers
to serve the customers. Easy way is to call the ISP and get the IP :-)
or run DNS bruteforce and try to resolve their IP space for the PTR
records againest a list of commonly used mail server names (Ex:
smtp.<ISP> or relay.<ISP.domain>..etc).

Thanks,

Sekhar
CISSP,GWAPT,GCIH,CCSA,OSCP