Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Best practices for preventing malware in a small business environment?

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:17:13 -1000

Brian Fritts wrote:
Education, Education, Education!!!!!

Take the time and educate them rather than relying solely on software
alone.

Yes, we try and try and try. Then some idiot comes along and undoes it all. I tried to get some publicity for this screwup, but since no money was involved, no one seems to really give a da#*.

PayPal sent E-mails to their customers (my roommate brought it to my attention) which said:

"Hello <name removed>,

It looks like you may be using an outdated browser with known security issues.

Help keep your computer and your PayPal account protected by updating your browser today."

and included a link (much different from what was represented).

When I looked at it initially, I told him (roommate) that it had to be a phish because PayPal would never send out
something that was obviously a lie and include an obfuscated link as well.  Boy was I wrong.
When I had some time to investigate further, I found that PayPal's Forum had quite a few members wondering if the E-mail
was 'official' or a 'scam' and that PayPal's spoof detection team (spoof () paypal com) was also confused and returning
conflicting opinions as to the validity of the E-mail.
Thread locked (and posts removed) because folks were getting really mad.
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Fraud-phishing-and-spoof/New-scam/td-p/273626