Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: GRE Tunnels without IPSEC risks.

From: Mike Hale <eyeronic.design () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:51:04 -0700

GRE, by itself, doesn't encrypt anything.  It *encapsulates* the
payload, but doesn't encrypt it.

If you want to make sure the data is encrypted, you'll need to run
IPSec on that tunnel.

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 2:10 AM, Maps1 <maps1 () btinternet com> wrote:
Hi List,

Our network guys have been implementing wireless access points in a remote office, which will then use a GRE VPN link
back to our main office to connect to the wireless controller.

In other remote offices where we have full WAN links back to the main office, we have configured the APs to use IPSEC
tunnels for this communication. Unfortunately, these don't seem to work through the VPN GRE tunnels used in the
smaller offices.

Please could someone help me to understand the risks (if any) involved in setting the AP communication to not use
IPSEC tunnels, but to rely on the encryption on the GRE VPN tunnel instead?

Thanks!

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works,
how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test,
purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for
set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital
certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0