Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SkillSet for Pen Tester

From: pleed <pleed () koeln ccc de>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 20:06:12 +0200

Hi,

what you do depends highly on the focus of your pentest. If I have to pentest a whole network we often have a concrete goal and the client wants to know if it can be achieved with a limited amount of time an knowledge. Then as long as you will achieve your goal - everything is all right and well done. However many clients would like to have a general analysis of their network security (which makes more sense for many companies). Before going into detail of any application, check for known vulnerabilities and configuration problems in the platform service or middleware (e.g. webserver), firewall, routers, switches, client OS and so on. Then try common vulnerability classes in the applications. If you have done all this and still some time (you shouldnt have time left), try to go into detail for the technologies you know well. Keep in mind that a pen-test is not only successfull when you found one vulnerability and got in. If there are basic security mistakes, you should first point out as much of them as you can because there are a lot more skiddies out there than there are sophisticated hackers.

Our company differentiates between network/infrastructure tests and application specific tests because of the named reasons.

- Check known vulnerabilities/configuration errors in platform/middleware software
- Check common vulnerability classes in applications
- Go into detail for the rest of your test

Regards,
    Felix
As a pen-tester, you just need to find one issue with the technology
stack, as opposed to being an expert.