Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: IRC in corporate enviroment

From: michael getachew <michaelhoustong () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 23:10:24 -0700 (PDT)

I'd lastly just want to mention that there are plenty of
web-based, non-IRC places to find coding help and
assistance. Forums, question/answer boards, and the like.
IRC is great, but it's certainly not the only thing in this
advanced Internet age.

speaking of web-based places there are web based irc clients. like freenode has webchat.freenode.net and mibbit gives
you access to many more. so even if you block irc people can use http to sort of tunnel it in a way(although i doubt
stuff like dcc works using web-based clients).

denying every traffic except the one you really need is a good practice so i suggest using web-based clients.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1