Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Managing installed Agents

From: "gig" <gigabit () satx rr com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 17:35:09 -0600

Helly,

That's interesting as it seems to me that many vendors have worked hard in changing the security model to be agentless.

We are moving in that direction which means we have centralized tools that just need privilege account access to systems for scanning/reporting. The main concern now is having sufficient bandwidth to do remote scanning/monitoring/reporting.

Outside of that, the other option is utilizing desktop/server configuration tools. (like Altiris)

----- Original Message ----- From: <hellkyng () gmail com>
I was hoping to get guidance from the pros on how they are managing agents installed on servers etc.

It seems like a lot of security products I evaluate today require an agent to be installed on any machine to be monitored (Such as file integrity monitoring or configuration control etc). Given the work involved in installing and maintaining these agents it typically makes the server admins groan.

How are you managing the increasing number of agents required by security products?

Thanks,
Helly

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1