Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Telnet Service

From: bart knippenberg <bartknippenberg () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:08:06 +0100

Hello Muhammad,

The default can be seen with sh run all. If you take away the
configuration on the vty console you will be able to get a prompt if
there are some aaa methods configured (for all the default probably is
hitting in your case)
If you want to disable telnet you can set the transport mode to ssh

line vty 0 4
transport input ssh
line vty 5 15
transport input ssh

Still you can also write an acl to prevent people from logging in with telnet:

Access-list 1 deny tcp any any eq 22
access-list 1 permit ip w.x.y.z 0.0.0.255 any

where w.x.y.z/24 is your management Lan as a /24 here in the example

line vty 0 4
access-class 1 in
line vty 5 15
access-class 1 in

Best regards

Bart

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1