Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Re: Firewall question - how easy is it to get thru - Proof

From: Shane Anglin <shane.anglin () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:18:50 -0500

Some detail on how such a think can occur… somehow, the ‘bad guy’
tricks a target LAN user to connect his web browser to the bad guy’s
web server/page (phishing, social engineering, etc)… the requested web
page maliciously loads some web browser exploit on the target LAN
user’s machine, and the exploit runs.  The exploit could, for example,
be one that simply opens up a session reversed back to bad guy’s web
server…. And now bad guy has a link inside the target LAN network via
the target LAN machine to scan from, load more code onto target LAN
machine, etc… and all happening along the HTTP(port 80) or HTTPS (port
443)  that the target LAN user initiated, and occurring within the
allowed firewall rules, demonstrating that firewall technology alone
is not a magic pill .  Metasploit is a great tool to perform such
attacks… I suggest reading a bit on Metasploit’s meterpreter reverse
tcp basics.

Regards,
Shane Anglin
Shane.Anglin () gmail com

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1