Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: MYsql 323 Hashes Cracking

From: Gage Bystrom <themadichib0d () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:34:51 -0800

On Dec 22, 2011 10:55 AM, <synja@synfulvisions.(something I
accidentally deleted and am too lazy to go figure it out, probably a
com)
With the access that you already apparently have, you may want to look into alternate methods of credential
"discovery."

This absolutely. I can't remember how often I've laughed at people
when they couldn't crack a hash, but at the same time had write access
to the php script that collected the logins in the first place....

And that's only one out of many methods. Chances are if you are in a
position to worry about someone cracking your hashed there are bigger
things to worry about, which is fairly equivocal for an attacker.
Chances are if you're in a position to crack a hash, there are bigger
things to target.

But to answer the OPs question, unless you got a few terrabytes or
more to spare, than no its not worth it. Chances are unlikely that
anyone has rainbow tables in that range. And since calculating your
own rainbow table just for this event would be idiotic, you're
probably just better off tweaking your john options(patched to remove
the 8 length restriction) or whatever your favorite cracking tool that
can handle the algo. Also a Google check couldn't hurt, you may be
lucky and someone else already cracked that hash.