Security Basics mailing list archives

IDS which denies access after one "false" scanned port

From: Martin T <m4rtntns () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 14:20:02 +0200

I found a webserver, which serves webpage on TCP port 80, but in case
I try to connect to any other TCP port, my IP will be blocked for
10min. Example below:

[root@ ~]# ping -qc1 www.<domain>.com
PING www.<domain>.com (10.10.10.3): 56 data bytes

--- www.<domain>.com ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.793/1.793/1.793/0.000 ms
[root@ ~]# telnet www.<domain>.com 80
Trying 10.10.10.3...
Connected to www.<domain>.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
[root@ ~]# telnet www.<domain>.com 37219
Trying 10.10.10.3...
^C
[root@ ~]# telnet www.<domain>.com 80
Trying 10.10.10.3...
^C
[root@ ~]# ping -qc1 www.<domain>.com
PING www.<domain>.com (10.10.10.3): 56 data bytes

--- www.<domain>.com ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
[root@ ~]#

Anyone seen such behavior before? Is it somehow possible to
detect/guess, which IDS this might be? Any other suggestions how to
find out more information about this IDS and server behind it?

regards,
martin

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1