Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Antivirus- A Corrective Control?

From: Sven von Kreyfeld <Sven_vonKreyfeld () symantec com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 16:32:06 +0100

Classical Signature based AV is always a reactive and not a proactive
technology. You need to have a signature to detect possible malware.
Corrective usually would mean that you correct an action in order to avoid
a damage (but malware on a machine or file is already a damage). Preventiv
would not allow an infection of a file or machine e.g. system hardening.

So I would say AV is always a corrective Control

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen
-
Sven von Kreyfeld (CISSP,MCP,CCSK,ITIL)   -   Presales Consultant
Office: +49-2102-7453828  -  Mobile: +49-172-2197042
Email : Sven_vonKreyfeld () symantec com
<applewebdata://A3FD7F1A-AECB-4A82-96D1-AA4333DD2CBD/Sven_vonKreyfeld@syman
tec.com>
Symantec (Deutschland) GmbH  - Kaiserswertherstrasse 115 - D-40880
Ratingen

Headquarter/Geschäftssitz:
Symantec (Deutschland) GmbH-Wappenhalle-Konrad-Zuse-Platz 2-5, D-81829
München

Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Andreas Zeitler, Austin McCabe,
Kristen Laubscher
Registriert unter Amtsgericht München/Registered at Regional Court Munich,
HRB 148165

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of
information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and
exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney
work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication in error, notify us immediately by telephone and (i) destroy
this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this message immediately if
this is an electronic communication.

Exklusive Informationen für Öffentliche Auftraggeber:
http://www.emea.symantec.com/oeffentliche-verwaltung/

Am 10.08.11 09:15 schrieb "kartik.netsec () gmail com" unter