Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Auditing Network Resource Usage

From: Todd Haverkos <infosec () haverkos com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:15:37 -0500

Muhammad Aslam <aslam.popal () gmail com> writes:

All

I am not sure whether this is the right group or not but i have
googled a lot but could not find any suitable solution that could meet
my requirement, so basically i would like to have the capability in my
network so that i could check and get reports based on network
resource usage and access of different resources that are available in
my network so that i could generate assessments for the executive
management as well as for security personnel.

I'll throw a dart at the wall, without knowing the size of your
network and mention

Whats Up Gold
http://www.whatsupgold.com/products/whatsup-gold-core/index.aspx
though I'm not sure how much trending it has.

MRTG probably deserves a mention too.  http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/

And this will also help me in case someone tries to copy or take
something from the network so that we get awareness of such activity
.

It could possibly help, but Network-based and Host-based data loss
prevention (DLP) products really do that best.  Symantec Mcafee
Websense and RSA all supposedly have decent offering in this space (or
bought their way into the leaders quadrant).  I've recently run into a
pair of Symantec customers at different companies who claim to be
happy with the Symantec offering.

There is a free DLP product out there as well.  I've met the author
who is very sharp:
    http://code.google.com/p/opendlp/

Best Regards,
--
Todd Haverkos, LPT MsCompE
http://haverkos.com/

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1