Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Question on Certification (SSCP or GSEC)

From: Todd Haverkos <infosec () haverkos com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 08:44:13 -0500

Mr Horse <mrhorse755 () gmail com> writes:

I'm a software developer with about 6 years experience, and act as the
lead for application and some network security issues at my current
employer.

My manager wants me to a certification, and ideally I would go with
the CISSP but I don't have 4 years employment experience in the
information security field.

For whatever it's worth, a colleague in a similar situation found that
ISC2 also has an Associate CISSP certification that lacks the
experience requirement and paves the way for moving to the CISSP:
           https://www.isc2.org/how-to-become-an-associate.aspx

But, given that you come from a development background, perhaps a less
general, more development-specific security certification would be
compelling. You might also look into CSAD from EC Council, or SANS
CSSLP as a certification path.  These both would capitalize on your
development experience and application security responsibilities.
These skills are quite in demand.

Best Regards,
--
Todd Haverkos, LPT MsCompE
http://haverkos.com/

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1