Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: Information security on Twitter

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:06:54 -0600

@Andrew: Why do we need some government or company entity to do this? Why can't you do it if that is your interest?

You're correct in saying we shouldn't be complacent in our use of Twitter. I think you get distracted by your desire to
keep it away from the bad guys. I think you'll find it a better goal to drop that part of your sentence below. Also
keep in mind that if you truly want unmoderated, then anything you do to speed up good guy information sharing, will
also help anyone with less noble goals.

@Others: Frankly, I'm surprised at the animosity of technically-inclined persons in charge, to some degree or other, of
digital security. I understand if a medium is not for you or something you don't want to consume, but to actually be
negative about it is maybe an indication of where our industry is going...or lacking...

I use Twitter for two primary reasons: networking with other professionals (both professionally and informally) and
getting new information quickly. This is little different from a forum or IRC channel or even a high-traffic mailing
list or a too-heavily-populated news feed. Yes, it is different, but not *that* different.

If you think it is all marketing, then you're not following the right people.

If you think it is unreliable, then what medium do you trust more for your links to new information?

If you think it is a way to drive hits to blogs/sites/whatever, then what are you expecting to learn from 140-character
soundbytes? Of course people drop links to learn more!

Like I said, I'm a little surprised at the tone of some of the responses when it comes to a technology medium that you
have to admit does have its uses, even if it isn't your cup-o-tea.

Are we getting old and crotchety already? The technological equivalent of, "Get off my lawn? Don't move my cheese?"

<- snip ->

We need the government or a security company to come up with a solution, because security researchers are increasingly
using Twitter to disclose information and are less and less using mailing lists to communicate.

We shouldn't be complacent in the use of Twitter and how much information is being post there and which might fall into
the hands of the bad guys before the white hat security community learn of a threat.

To me its mandatory that a sustainable list of security researcher Twitter accounts are formulated and made available
for the public to utilize.

Andrew

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1