Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: Blocking traffic by Country to reduce spam

From: chmod1777 () mydotcom com
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:14:36 -0600

*Very naive if you think blocking by a particular country is going to work.

The United States is almost always in the top two spots. You'd have to
be insane to block an entire country.*

Insane? I'm not just blocking spam, though blocking the netblocks of a country does work for that. I agree that if your
only motive is to stop spam, then an rbl would be a better solution, and I gave an example of why. However, spam was
not my only motive (as I mentioned).

Blocking rogue countries (rogue as in makes no effort to stop illegal activity) is HIGHLY effective at stopping
nefarious traffic. My reasoning was not just spam, but also bf attempts on my server. An RBL would do nothing for that.
 There is absolutely no reason to ALLOW traffic from these countries, so why would I want to take a chance? I do no
business with anyone in those countries, I'm not equipped to do business with anyone in those countries, and I choose
not to do business with anyone in those countries. Why should I just blindly allow it????

I assure you I'm not insane, and it is highly effective as a means to block worthless traffic. Does it stop all bad
guys from sending me spam, or making attempts at my server? Absolutely not. In my initial post, you'd have read where I
said it stopped "the majority" of it. I'm not naive enough to think that all of it could ever be stopped. But I can
certainly block a majority of it. And I have, and it works.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1