Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Where to Start?

From: rossbielski () hotmail com
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:37:05 -0700

It can be a discouraging field indeed. Not because of the field itself, but the mindset people allow themselves to get
into. What I personally think you have to have more than any books, specific topic resources, or learning plans is a
focus on people and relationships. Having a group around you who are supportive and share you love for the subject is
key. They have to be able to look past their own greed of knowledge and selfishness and understand that sharing
experiences, resources, and the truth is what must happen for this area to be a success. It takes maturity and
intelligence and a positive attitude.

When you have this, and you are not going it alone you will find it an endless and fun journey. I think learning after
that is best if it starts from the top down. This field is so huge that you have to understand all the pieces first.
Try to get a feel for the bigger picture of why, and how things work. Go for things that are encompassing in a broad
sense. Security+ and Net+ are a good place to start. Then see every topic in application, and I mean demand to see it
in application not just theory.

Lastly another great way other than networking, big pic approach, and seeing, is throwing yourself over your head. If
you can afford to put yourself around the best of the best for just a few days. There are literally a ton of
conferences that go on that will open your mind up to a world of people and possibilities. These include, Blackhat,
Defcon, CCC, RSA, etc.

Also here is all my top links and sources of information, they not necessarily all security though.
http://www.brassmonk.com/links.html

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1