Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Application to monitor wireless intruders activity

From: mikfisher64 () gmail com
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 08:39:01 -0600

Hello,

an alternative firmware would be interesting, granted my device was supported, which is not :P

I will actually look upon the kismet option, though the idea of having a dedicate device for that solely purpose seems
a bit too much.

Anyway,  i'm going to understand how scanlogd works since using the logs will probably be an effective and simple way
of accomplishing the alerts and stuff.

Thanks!,
Fisher

-------------
Hi Mike,

Sounds like you are looking for wireless IDS functionality which you tend
to find only on top range Access Points.

Most routers are not that capable of detecting intrusions before a client
is associated. You could try loading alternative firmware on the router
such as OpenWrt (www.openwrt.org) or dd-wrt (www.dd-wrt.com). If the
router does log this events then these can be downloaded and scrapped
using scanlogd or similar.

Another alternative, which offers the best detection, is to run kismet on
a separate machine with it locked to your access point and then scrape
the logs to generate alerts.  Some firmware options include kismet but it
can place an unnecessary load on the AP.

Rgds,

sIMON

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1