Security Basics mailing list archives

Virtualization - Mixing DMZ and internal guests on one host: would you?

From: Dan Lynch <DLynch () placer ca gov>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:02:55 -0700

Greetings list,

I'm providing security input for a proposed redesign and upgrade of our existing VMWare implementation. We have 80 some
odd internal-use-only production servers like Windows AD domain controllers, file servers, and MS Exchange servers on
one existing ESX 3.x cluster. A separate ESX 3.x cluster hosts exclusively DMZ-based public web servers. A single
virtual center server manages both clusters.

As existing hardware leases expire, a new cluster is proposed to be built on new hardware that would merge all our VMs
on one vSphere cluster. Dedicated pSwitch and pNIC hardware, and separate vSwitch instances are proposed to separate
high risk from high value systems. This still leaves open the possibility of accidental (or intentional)
misconfigurations crossing security boundaries, and the lower risk of guest-to-host or guest-to-guest exploit.

Haletky warns against just this design in his "VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security" book, but the cost
of an additional cluster may override. What is the community take on this? Would you do it? Do you do it? If so, what
controls have you put in place to help mitigate the risk?

Thanks for any input.

Dan Lynch, CISSP
Information Technology Analyst
County of Placer
Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1