Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Data Theft

From: "Sumeet Narula" <sumeet.narula () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 08:22:00 +0530

Thank you for your helpful suggestion

Sumeet Narula, CEO
Comsquare Networks India Pvt Ltd.

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Haverkos [mailto:infosec () haverkos com]
Sent: 26 May 2010 01:44
To: Sumeet Narula
Cc: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: Data Theft

"Sumeet Narula" <sumeet.narula () gmail com> writes:

we are looking for any software/firewall solution.

which  prevent the user(user is not under domain) from copying the data
from
PC/laptop to Pen drive/mail the data as an attachment.

actually our main concern is to prevent the data theft from our office
PCs(suggest if you have some other other solution).

we require this for at least 5-10 PCs.---------

Hi Sumeet,

The class of software you're seeking is known as Data Loss Prevention
(DLP) software.

OpenDLP was recently released in a first version by a former colleague
of mine, and would be worth a look.  All the major security vendors
seem to have some flavor of DLP solution out there as well.  They
generally have a notion of defining data you care about, various
levels of control restricting removable drives, some going so far as
to only allow company issued cryptographic USB keys to be used on
managed PC's, and mating with full disk encryption solutions and all
such fun stuff.

--
Todd Haverkos, LPT MsCompE
http://haverkos.com/

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1