Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to bypass firewalls

From: John Morrison <john.morrison101 () googlemail com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 10:08:40 +0100

Raja,

Could you just set up an https connection and run the traffic through
as though it is a VPN tunnel? The firewall won't be able to see the
traffic (it is encrypted).

On 6 May 2010 21:47,  <danuxx () gmail com> wrote:
Not an expert on this topic but I know a common way to do so by taking advantage of protocols behaviour and stateful
inspection design.

So let's say that the firewall has stateful inspection for ftp and IRC protocols, you can inject ftp PORT commands
during ftp sessions to fool the firewall into thinking that it is an IRC transaction and since this protocol uses
peer to peer connections the firewall will automatically open any port needed by the IRC server(attacker) to the chat
client (victim).

Although this flaw has been patched by Netfilter team, definitely constitutes a sexy way to bypass firewalls.

Google "phrack breaking through a firewall".
Sent via BlackBerry from Danux Network