Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Change in Focus or Losing Focus?

From: IPv7 <listas.internet () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:35:38 -0300

I Join!

On 11 March 2010 13:08,  <kenneth.buckler () dsainc com> wrote:
For many years, even before Symantec purchased SecurityFocus, I have relied upon SecurityFocus as a vendor-neutral
source of computer security news.

I have noticed over time a shift from being vendor-neutral towards a lot of Symantec content.  That’s understandable,
since Symantec purchased SecurityFocus.

When I read the “Change in Focus” article today, I was very disappointed.

I became even more disappointed when I actually visited Symantec Connect for the first time.  Where is the security
content?  The site appears very lacking in security content, and more focused on promoting Symantec products and
general system administration.

I have always been a supporter of Symantec, in part due to their maintaining of SecurityFocus as an independent
company.  Now that they are moving all the SecurityFocus articles and white papers to their main site, I do not feel
the new articles and white papers will be of the same quality.

I strongly believe the move of this content from SecurityFocus to Symantec was driven by profit potential, in an
attempt to generate more traffic to the Symantec Connect site, and in turn, generate more sales for Symantec products.

This move hurts the security community, and also Symantec.  I can no longer in good conscience support Symantec if
they are willing to damage the security community by removing a valuable resource, such as the articles and white
papers offered by SecurityFocus.

Because of this move, I will no longer be recommending Symantec/Norton products to my friends, family, or company.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works,
how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test,
purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for
set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital
certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

--
-   El conocimiento es poder   -