Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Reporting SSH abuse

From: Feeyo|NixDevs <feeyo () nixdevs com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:17:58 +0100

Hello,

Yes we always send an notification to the isp owning that ip address.
Most of the times the servers doing an ssh bruteforce attack on others
are hacked/infected.
Best thing to do is send an email to abuse@ISP and attach the logs.

Regards,

On 3/10/2010 12:08 AM, Dan Lynch wrote:
I could swear I once read an "authoritative" source doc on this subject, maybe an RFC (Site Security Handbook?), or
something from CERT. But I can't seem to dig it up. Anyone?

Here's what I did find:

Going to the Source: Reporting Security Incidents to ISPs (2002)
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1555

And a most-excellent write up "Composing abuse reports" (2007)
http://blog.anta.net/2007/04/18/composing-abuse-reports/

Dan Lynch, CISSP
Information Technology Analyst
County of Placer