Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Strange WLAN behavior

From: Norealenemy <norealenemy () web de>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:27:31 +0200

Thanks for all your comments.

In all comments and I my thoughts there is one logical problem.

I did not see my wifes laptop connected to an unknown AP. It was
connected to "MyWLAN".
But there were other unknown MAC's connected to "MyWLAN". One MAC was
sending the same packet counts as my wifes one. The packet count was
growing when my wifes laptop produces traffic and stopped when the
laptop stoped generating traffic.

I'm not so familiar with kismet and the aircrack suite, so it may be I
misunderstand what I have seen.

To claify: In kismet I selected "MyWLAN" and saw "Clients: 7". So I
pressed c for getting closer information about the clients. It looked
like this:

T MAC               Manuf      Data Crypt  Size IP Range        Sgn Nse
T 00:16:6F:B1:6B:DA Unknown     707   707   66k 0.0.0.0           0   0
F 00:04:0E:64:43:46 Unknown     543   543   57k 0.0.0.0           0   0
F 00:1B:38:68:2C:8D Unknown     229   229   24k 0.0.0.0           0   0
F 00:13:20:3B:7E:11 Unknown      90    90   14k 0.0.0.0           0   0
S 01:00:5E:00:00:FB Unknown       0     0    0B 0.0.0.0           0   0
S 01:00:5E:7F:FF:FA Unknown       0     0    0B 0.0.0.0           0   0
S 01:00:5E:00:00:16 Unknown       0     0    0B 0.0.0.0           0   0
S FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF Unknown       0     0    0B 0.0.0.0           0   0
S 01:00:5E:00:00:01 Unknown       0     0    0B 0.0.0.0           0   0

The top one MAC is the one of my wife's laptop the second one was the
one that was acting like my wifes one.

Like already told, it may be that I misunderstand the printout of
kismet.

Thanks Jensemann